Tuesday, February 11, 2014

thing 8

I have heard of twitter but don't have an account, the library that I work at does have a twitter account which they use to post news about upcoming events. I do have Facebook which I use quite often as it's the only way that I can seem to keep connected with long distant relatives. Our library has a facebook page but there is really nothing on it at the moment. I have heard of google+ but have not used the app at the moment, google is really trying to compete with Facebook but I don't know a lot of people that have heard about google+ outside of being invited to be part of someones circle. I have a linkedIn profile and while I found it interesting to see who I could connect with while searching for a job it really did not help me find a job in my field. This could be a good resource for the library to use if they did a class on people who want to connect with others in the same job field. The Foursquare app according to my brother has become less popular and has changed drastically since it first started. My mom used it a lot when she first got her phone and checked in everywhere. But she did not like the fact that it would post her location to her facebook page, she became worried about her safety and then finally decided to uninstall the app. I don't think that this app would have a lot of use for a library since it basically just tells other people where the user is currently, though maybe it would be useful if a person was telling others about a book sale. GetGlue (now tvtag) is Foursquare for tv lovers, you check in what tv show you are watching and get special points and get to see what your friends are watching. A library could use the app to see waht patrons are watching the most to determine which tv shows to purchase for their collection.

1 comment:

Rocinante said...

I appreciate your comments about Foursquare. I do use it quite a bit. I disabled the ability of it to automatically share my location on Facebook. That was a security concern for me too. I like using Foursquare when I check in to libraries and used bookstores etc. Kind of fun to unlock the various reading and studying badges.